Things to do with Dad this Fathers Day | Days out in Hampshire
Perhaps you’d rather make memories with your dad or father figure this year instead of trawling the shops for a present, or maybe he’s a lucky little sausage and is going to get a present and a day out. If you’re not sure what’s on in Hampshire this Fathers Day, I’m here to give you a helping hand. And if you’re as last minute as me – here’s some present ideas too.
- Watercress Line – Take your dad down to the famous Watercress Line for a father’s day trip this year and not only will they get the experience of riding aboard the steam train travelling from Alresford station to Alton, there’s also a special draw prize where dad could win a ‘Footplate Experience’ giving him the opportunity to drive a steam locomotive.
- Get him monkey’ing around at Go Ape – King of the Jungle or King of the Dads? Head down to a Go Ape centre (closest are Itchen Valley and Moors Valley) and watch Dad harnesses up and swinging from tree-to-tree before plummeting down the zip wires back to terra firma.
- Bottoms up at Ringwood Brewery – why not take your dad down to the Ringwood Brewery, home to craft ales such as Old Thumper, Forty Niner and Boon Doggle? Walk around the 1.5 hour tour which includes a complimentary drink and a tour of the brewery where you’ll see the fermentation bubbling away before heading to the shop for a takeaway pint…or four!
- Whilst we’re on the drink theme – how about a trip to the Bombay Sapphire distillery in the sleepy little village of Whitchurch? Have a wander whilst learning how gin is distilled…it’s important to know though that all tickets must be purchased in advance and there are three different packages to choose from – a Gin cocktail masterclass, Hosted experience or the Self discovery experience.
- Hambledon vineyard are hosting a Fathers Day Fizz and Chips event where there’ll be a tour around the vineyard before dining on locally sourced fish and chips, strawberries and cream all washed down by a glass (or two!) of fizz.
- Shoot for the skies…or the bullseye! Sir Harold Hillier gardens in Romsey are holding a ‘have a go archery’ day especially for dad’s on Sunday. After he’s shot his arrows – enjoy a stroll around the beautiful gardens before settling down for a slice of cake and a cuppa!
- The Montagu Arms in Beaulieu are hosting an afternoon tea with a savoury twist especially for Father’s Day. There’ll be homemade scotch eggs served along with beer cakes – and the more traditional scones and sandwiches!
- ‘Farmers Day’ at Finkley – Dad’s can enjoy free entry this weekend at Andover based Finkley Down Farm. Watch as Dad gets to grips with rabbits, goats, alpacas and horses and if that’s not enough then enjoy placing your bets on the sheep race!
- Scale new heights and treat Dad to a view of Portsmouth Harbour from the top of the Spinnaker Tower! ‘Cafe in the Clouds’ cafe and bar is situated 105m above the Harbour, walk across the glass skywalk and head up abit further to the Sky Garden. For the complete thrillseeker dad’s why not book (or pre-book as Father’s Day is full!) an abseil 100m down the side of the tower?
Whatever you are up to with the special man in your family this weekend – enjoy it! What are your plans for this weekend?